Dynamic Text has been used in ArcMap map automation to place values from some system variables as text on layouts since ArcGIS Desktop 10.0. This support has been expanded in more recent releases, but does not include user-defined Python variables. The technique to do that is called Pseudo-dynamic Text, and is the subject of this course.
This course, which is suitable for English-speaking students from anywhere in the world, was recorded using ArcGIS 10.2.2 for Desktop but should be equally applicable to versions 10.0, 10.1 and 10.3. ArcGIS for Desktop licensing is not included, but can be obtained for non-commercial purposes from Esri and its International Distributors under the ArcGIS for Home Use Program (
In this 18 minute course of 4 videos you will:
- Refresh Dynamic Text to understand the use case for Pseudo-dynamic Text.
- Author a layout with a text element that supports text wrapping and mixes Dynamic and Pseudo-dynamic strings.
- Use the Python window of ArcMap to learn the coding pattern that underpins Pseudo-dynamic Text.
- Write a short Python script using arcpy.mapping in IDLE (or your own IDE) to implement Pseudo-dynamic Text.
- Configure a Python script tool to take a string entered on its dialog, place it within the layout, and export the map to PDF.
- Plus much more.
Graeme provides training, consulting and support in:
- ArcGIS for Desktop;
- ArcGIS Pro;
- ArcPy/Python and ModelBuilder/Geoprocessing generally;
- ArcGIS Online and Story Maps;
- Family HiStory Mapping; and
- Google Earth .
He has been using Esri software for over 25 years (18 of those with Esri International Distributors in the United Kingdom and Australia), and Google Earth for more than 5 years, and works with the latest versions of the ArcGIS platform and Google Earth.
Using Pseudo-dynamic Text in ArcPy Map Automation
after you enroll
Frequently Asked Questions
When does the course start and finish?
The course starts now and never ends! It is a completely self-paced online course - you decide when you start and when you finish.
How long do I have access to the course?
How does lifetime access sound? After enrolling, you have unlimited access to this course for as long as you like - across any and all devices you own.
What if I am unhappy with the course?
We would never want you to be unhappy! If you are unsatisfied with your purchase, contact us in the first 30 days and we will give you a full refund.
This course is not open for enrolment.