The Field Calculator has been part of ArcMap since before ArcGIS Desktop 10.0. Its Python Parser was only added just before that but is now by far the most popular way to perform field calculations. This course, which is suitable for English-speaking students from anywhere in the world, was recorded using ArcGIS 10.2.2 for Desktop but should be equally applicable to versions 10.0, 10.1 and 10.3. ArcGIS for Desktop licensing is not included, but can be obtained for non-commercial purposes from Esri and its International Distributors under the ArcGIS for Home Use Program (http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/arcgis-for-home). All necessary data is downloadable using simple instructions provided at the beginning of the course.
In this 51 minute course of 9 videos you will learn how to use the Python Parser to:
- Add test fields ready to work with integer and floating point numbers, text, and dates.
- Calculate fields of various types to numeric values.
- Perform calculations between fields of different data types.
- Write Pre-Logic Script Code to define Python functions.
- Implement if/else/elif logic within Python functions.
- Work with Null values in fields.
- Change case and perform replacements within text strings.
- Calculate fields to hold shape geometry properties like vertex counts.
- Work with dates.
- Plus much more.
Graeme provides training, consulting and support in:
- ArcGIS for Desktop;
- ArcGIS Pro;
- ArcPy/Python and ModelBuilder/Geoprocessing generally;
- ArcGIS Online and Story Maps;
- Family HiStory Mapping; and
- Google Earth .
He has been using Esri software for over 25 years (18 of those with Esri International Distributors in the United Kingdom and Australia), and Google Earth for more than 5 years, and works with the latest versions of the ArcGIS platform and Google Earth.
Writing Parsable Python for ArcGIS Field Calculator
after you enroll
Frequently Asked Questions
When does the course start and finish?
The course starts now and never ends! It is a completely self-paced online course - you decide when you start and when you finish.
How long do I have access to the course?
How does lifetime access sound? After enrolling, you have unlimited access to this course for as long as you like - across any and all devices you own.
What if I am unhappy with the course?
We would never want you to be unhappy! If you are unsatisfied with your purchase, contact us in the first 30 days and we will give you a full refund.
This course is not open for enrolment.